I am always looking for yummy bread recipes that are quick and delicious for when I’m in a pinch! This recipe hits the mark for me. It is so good with so many meals and you don’t have to spend hours to have a homemade fresh side of bread. I hope you love my quick homemade bread sticks!
This article contains affiliate links. This means I have shared links to products I use and love and if you click on one and make a purchase, I may receive small compensation at absolutely no cost to you!
You can just easily use a bowl and spatula for mixing, but I used my stand mixer mainly because my kids love to watch it! If you are in the market for a good stand mixer, I have this one and absolutely LOVE it!
Start by adding the warm water, yeast, sugar, salt, and oil into your bowl. I let this sit for about 5 minutes.
Add in 2 cups of flour and start mixing. If it is too sticky, add the other 1/2 cup of flour. This will depend on several different factors, so it may vary each time you make them.
Mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should be slightly sticky and soft, but shouldn’t stick to your hands.
Move the dough to a separate greased bowl, cover and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease, and divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Alternatively, you could do them unevenly (like I do) if you have little ones in your house that don’t need a full bread stick! Then roll the dough into little “snakes” (this is the fun part!) and place on the baking sheet.
Note: I don’t feel the need to make my bread picture perfect. If you like yours to be pretty, take a little more time as you’re shaping. I kind of like the unevenness of fresh, home baked bread!
Cover the bread sticks with a clean towel, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and allow the bread sticks to rise for about 20 more minutes while the oven preheats.
Put them in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check them at minute 15 and add time as needed to get the preferred golden brown color.
I love that you can make these your own! At the end of the recipe, I melt some butter and mix in some parmesan cheese and garlic powder for an extra yummy finish. You can easily substitute that for any combination of spices, cheeses, etc. And since these are bread sticks, you can easily do some one way and others a different way! Make your whole family happy with their own customized bread stick!
Quick Homemade Bread Sticks
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Topping (Use this combination, OR whatever your family likes!)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix warm water, yeast, sugar, salt, and olive oil in a bowl or stand mixer. Let sit for 5 minutes (optional).1 cup warm water, 1 tbsp instant dry yeast, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, 1 tsp salt, tbsp olive oil
- Add in 2 cups of flour. Begin mixing with spatula or stand mixer until flour is incorporated. If dough is sticking to hands, add a little bit more flour until it is slightly sticky, but not getting stuck to hands.2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Move dough to a greased mixing bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper (recommended). Punch down dough and divide into 12 pieces.
- Roll each of the 12 pieces into about 9 inch long "snake" then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover the dough "snakes" with a clean towel, turn oven on to 400 degrease Farenheit, and let the bread sticks rise for about 20 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Check at 15 minutes and allow them to cook until you have reached your desired golden brown look.
- Melt some butter with cheese, garlic, and salt (or whatever combination you like!) and brush onto tops of bread sticks.2 tbsp butter, melted, 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt